Monday, November 22, 2010

Days 319-320 - Don't make too much!

You guessed it - I did - make too much, that is... this time it was lentils.  The recipe from the conference was so good, thought I'd finish off that package and well, we are getting tired of lentils.  I did make three varieties and need to check if they will freeze, or share them with my neighbors.  Lentil soup was good (better with sour cream or Greek yogurt on top), Chicken added is good too.  Then, marinating the lentils in a lemon-Greek dressing, and adding cucumber, tomato, flat leaf parsley, mint made a yummy Greek Lentil salad just asking for Feta cheese topping.  Tasted as good as it looked.  Any other ideas?


I was reading in Proverbs again from The Message and noticed this verse in Proverbs 25:16 which talks about how I've acted in the past with something sweet:   "When you’re given a box of candy, don’t gulp it all down - eat too much chocolate and you’ll make yourself sick;"  NIV and NASB are talking about honey which was the sweet of Biblical days.

This reminded me of the days of indulging - when I was young and had a metabolism that did not seem to be affected by caloric intake, I thought it was a great excuse to eat all I could of whatever I liked.  Pizza?  Extra cheese please.  Cake?  Extra frosting...  Ice Cream?  Heavy on the hot fudge... Rhubarb cake with cinnamon-sugar topping - triple that topping, please!  Potato chips?  Cheaper by the bigger bag.  Let me tell you, it catches up with you, and it doesn't look as appealing the next time around either.   It was unique to begin thinking why not keep a treat just that - by enjoying the occasional portion or half portion and then stopping!  A novel idea for me, but it is working.   Not because I've willed it, but because I've learned if I feast at The Lord's Table first, I've found that elusive craving to be satisfied, and the temporary sweets of the earth are just that - temporary.  I like them, but I do not have to live for them anymore.

And then there are the lentils that grew......... gotta run look up some lentil recipes :)

No comments: