Saturday, November 27, 2010

Days 323 - 325 - Thanks - giving!

Nope - no 'glutton-day' here as one friend suggested their table appeared to represent.  Lamb was our featured entree (appropriate reminder for a day to thank The Lamb for all our blessings).  California white potato - halved and sprinkled with lemon olive-oil and Pressure-Cooked carrots (4 minutes and they are perfect!) made for a wonderful meal.

Dessert was a tiny slice of ganache-frosted cheesecake and a half of a Cheerfully Gluten-Free Chocolate Mint Brownie, topped with 1/3 cup frozen ice-milk.  It was delicious but sad.  Why sad? Because I haven't had that rich ganache for such a while, that I immediately got a stomach ache.  It sometimes feel that my changing health is removing what I associated with happy memories - now that IS sad.  Memories of eating bags of chocolate, and bowls of whipping cream covered in hot fudge until I was sick is a happy memory? 

Can't say I'll never want ganache again, but also can't say I long for it like I used to. 

I'd rather have the dessert I requested for my birthday - flan!

The house smells more like Thanksgiving today, as Ken decided he'd like a pumpkin pie after all.  It is such an easy pie to make and tastes the same whether we use traditional refined sugar and brown sugar, or maple or rice syrup, and bake it without a crust.

Breakfast yesterday on the left - Egg over easy, with sauteed mushrooms, red sweet peppers an onions.

Below - Chunks of Honey-Crisp Apples and Red Pears cooked down and served with a few drops of Watkin's carmel flavoring and Greek Yogurt.

Much to be thankful for on this road to health.  In addition to being thankful for increased focusing more on the Lord, the pleasure and satisfying fullness I receive from 'filling up' at His table, Here's just seven health improvements for which I'm thankful:

  1. Lost weight - about 3 more pounds and I'll be halfway to goal
  2. Feel tremendously better - except for those few visits to chocolate or unexpected wheat, stomach and breathing issues have totally disappeared
  3. Lost inches - fitting clothes better and that feels so good
  4. Improved stamina - no more shortness of breath climbing hills or stairs
  5. Skin issues and scars finally healing
  6. New cravings for healthier food.  White potatoes were another downfall in the past, and now they seem to have little taste and make me feel 'heavy'.  I'd rather have a salad!
  7. Finished reading another dozen books - time on the treadmill goes faster when reading or watching a video.
Colossians. 3:15 says it so well:  Notice the progression:
And let the peace of Christ
rule in your hearts,
to which indeed you were called in one body;
and be thankful. 

No comments: