Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Days 340 - 341 - Unprepared on the road

Danger, Danger, that's all I can say.  A road trip on Monday turned out to be a long hungry day.  Friend and I left at 5 am for what we expected to be a 4 hour drive.  Wind, cold, and partially plowed sections of I-94 between Manitowoc and Green Bay were treacherous, so it took 6 hours instead of 4.  The only thing I'd tossed in my pocket was a high-fiber bar so that became breakfast.  Our late arrival ran commitments together and there was no time for lunch, so we finally ended up eating the next meal at 5 p.m. 

I felt like I was starving, and when the waitress asked what I would like I said one of everything on the menu!  We toned it down, but appetizer, dinner and a free dessert was all welcome and delightful as you will see by the photo.  Even with left-overs for lunch today, I ate far more at one sitting than I have for months and was really woozy from the sugar by the time I got home.   I'm also more used to being hydrated now and I'm sure that was part of the problem, as I could not take my hands off the wheel to take a sip of water or tea for fear of losing control of the car.

Conclusions of course are never to travel again the day following a storm.  The roads on the way back were better though not completely cleared, so a new resolution is to wait at least 48 hours after a blizzard before driving.

Dinner choices in my 'starving' condition were mostly good:

The thin sliced prime-rib sandwich without the bun was awesome except I forgot to omit the cheese, so it was a bit rich for an empty stomach.  Couldn't pass up on a free dessert and chose carrot cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  Although the dessert did not taste overly sweet and I only ate half the cake, I sure got a sugar hit.  Not used to that anymore either, which is a good thing. 

Sometimes I need to be reminded of how I felt when I wasn't eating as healthily to appreciate the victories I've attained.  It made me realize how much better I felt without the sugar (which I used to think I NEEDED).  It was a good reminder to be more prepared when on the road with little protein-filled snacks.  New rule:  pack protein first.

Dinner tonight was little preparation:  Mrs. Grass' Vegetable Soup with added Broccoli.

Among the many scriptures that mention preparing food,  I thought of Psalm 23 and how the Lord is preparing the table for us:

You have to love the way Eugene Peterson translated this verse: Psalm 23:5     You serve me a six-course dinner
        right in front of my enemies.
    You revive my drooping head;
        my cup brims with blessing.

No comments: