Monday, October 25, 2010

Days 291 - 293- Soup

Soup has always been a staple, particularly when the weather begins to chill.  Vegetable soup this week began with soup bones carrying a nice portion of beef.  Carrots, celery, green beans and 2 small potatoes (cubed with my new chopper toy - thanks Bette!) were added with a handful of bay leaves and some lemon basil and garlic.  Delish.

And yes, I do remove the bay leaves when I serve the soup!
Sweet potatoes proved too hard to cube for the chopper, so did them by hand (ok, by knife).  Add a little olive oil mixed with tsp. of maple syrup and toss in dry roasted sliced almonds....mmmmm.  Will be happy to revisit that tomorrow.  It's simple food, but we both love it. 

Forgot to take picture Sunday at church - we had a pot luck to celebrate Birthdays and Anniversaries.  Gluten free selections were:  Chicken Salad on lettuce, a lettuce wrap with cheese and turkey, and a mint-chocolate brownie.

I knew the scripture had something about simple fare.  How's this: Proverbs 15:17 Better is a dish of vegetables where love is, Than a fattened ox and hatred with it.

Think I'd want to eat veggies rather than a fat ox... :)  When I was in Spain, a waiter in a fancy restaurant brought the menu - two choices - Ox Tails (no thanks) or Pez con Barba (Fish with a beard!).  I asked him if the fish was served with the beard, and, so much for decorum, he fell out laughing. Turns out the fish with a beard is a Tuna and they are quite larger than the cans we see so frequently.  Anyway, I digress - that's my way of saying the fat ox actually probably refers to a nice cut of meat like a prime rib.

Still, wouldn't we rather eat the simple meal than have someone glowering at you or threatening you while you are trying to eat. Yep, I'll take the veggies and love any day.

I've noticed clothing fitting better for a while, but having rings loose again is a good thing.  Walked a couple of miles today.

No comments: